MAIN BLOCK AND FLANKING WINGS AT ROYAL BERKSHIRE HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1156091

Date first listed: 19-Mar-1975

Statutory Address: MAIN BLOCK AND FLANKING WINGS AT ROYAL BERKSHIRE HOSPITAL, LONDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MAIN BLOCK AND FLANKING WINGS AT ROYAL BERKSHIRE HOSPITAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156091 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 00:36:05.

Location

Statutory Address: MAIN BLOCK AND FLANKING WINGS AT ROYAL BERKSHIRE HOSPITAL, LONDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Reading (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SU 72412 72955

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LONDON ROAD 1. 5128 (South Side) Main block and flanking wings at Royal Berkshire Hospital SU 7272 9/161 19.3.75. II* GV 2. Main block 1839 by local architect and builder Henry Briant (who won the competition for designing the hospital). As King William IV took such a keen interest in the hospital before it was built, his Arms, not Queen Victoria's appear on the central pediment. 2 storeys and basement. Bath stone - very large ashlar blocks used to front. Slate roofs. 11 bays with 7 bay central break projecting pedimented hexastyle Ionic portico. Glazing bar sash windows. Corner piers. Channelled basement. Astragal to moulded cornice (dentil cornice to portico) and parapet. Recessed side entrance bays. Wide steps to portico with excellent contemporary lamp tripods with guilloche ornament. Interior: colonaded stair hall, cast iron balusters to stairs which divide at landing. 1882 chapel with contemporary fittings reached from under landing. (By Joseph Morris who made considerable extensions to the Hospital at that date). The main block has flanking wings added 1865 to designs by Joseph Morris. 3 storeys also Bath stone and long side wings forming a large courtyard added 1881-2. The latter are also of Bath stone, have 5x5 end pavilions with 3 bay pedimented breaks and are linked to side wings by a Greek Doric colonade (east side) and a 1911 block (west side). In front to street is a dwarf-stone tall with moulded coping and 5 retraining ashlar gate piers with block modillions to moulded capping.

Listing NGR: SU7241272955

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 39019

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing