WHITMINSTER HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1156110

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Dec-1986

Statutory Address: WHITMINSTER HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WHITMINSTER HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156110 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 18:17:26.

Location

Statutory Address: WHITMINSTER HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud (District Authority)

Parish: Whitminster

National Grid Reference: SO 75974 09050

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WHITMINSTER WHEATENHURST SO 70 NE 6/285 Whitminster House 10.1.55 GV II* Country house. Medieval core probably a hall house with solar in south east corner, enlarged probably by Richard Bird in late C16, and extended early C17 to north by his daughter. Extended to west in late C17 by Lloyd family, refaced with sash windows to west and south by Richard Owen Cambridge 1740-50, further remodelled to west and south in Tudor style by Wilton family from 1867, occupied by Teesdale family since 1884. Roughcast faced blue lias to east and north, ashlar faced to west and south, mostly stone slate roof, large rendered stack with moulded stone cap in angle to south east, ashlar original end stack to early range now a ridge stack, 3 diagonally set ashlar flues on ridge stack to north west of C17, C19 ashlar stacks to west and south ranges. Large E-shape with double central range and small 2-storey porch between projecting end ranges. Mostly 2 storeys and attic. Entrance front to east has 3 gables recessed between projecting gabled ends wings each with nearly full height wide canted bays of C18 with sashes. Two gables to left are earlier and have hollow moulded scattered 2- light stone mullions, some restored and some with square hoodmoulds. C17 ovolo mouldings to right. Each gable has pair of roses in pargetting at apex from early C17, very unusual for Gloucestershire. Junction of C16 and C17 work is obscured by 2- storey gabled porch probably of C18 with moulded ashlar round archway and single stone framed light over, with inscription tablet between with words "PER DOMINUM" beneath cornice breaking forward over small consoles, probably moved from above early C17 inner door which has similar style hood, ovolo moulded and stopped jambs, and original studded plank door with large strap hinges. South and west fronts both in Tudor Gothic style with mostly 2-light stone mullions and transoms. South front has replaced plain gable to far right, small central coped gable with kneelers and central stack over single-storey embattled porch with roll-moulded 4-centred archway and hoodmould. West front had 5 gables reduced to 4 in 1860s with large nearly central gable remodelled from 2 over main bedroom and drawing room with slightly projecting 3-light bay with embattled blocking course, and large projecting gable to right with 2-storey triangular bay. North side mostly still with C18 sashes and with small bell turret with bell dated 1739. Interior retains features from all periods including moulded beams of C16, very large chamfered kitchen fireplace arch probably of early C17 (date 1618 inscribed but could be earlier). Library in south west corner panelled in 1740s with original fireplace and contains bookcase probably made in early C19 within room, stair on east side also probably of 1740 or possibly earlier with twisted balusters, ramped handrail and moulded dado, and lit by very ornate tripartite moulded skylight probably of 1860s. Panelled room of C18 in north east range. South and west ranges contain large remodelled Victorian rooms with elaborate plaster cornices still unspoiled by layers of paint, that in the drawing room to west being especially fine. This room has original William Morris wallpaper of 1884, white marble fireplace with complete inlay of Minton tiles probably of late 1860s, many original fittings such as curtain rails, mirrors, shelves and fire screens probably contemporary and possibly designed for the room. Stairwell also has original C19 wallpaper and elaborate plas- ter cornices. The house is a very interesting example of the develop- ment of a small country house. It is set near the junction of the Stroudwater and Gloucester and Sharpness Canals with the River Frome in its grounds, the first 3 miles of which were made navigable by Richard Owen Cambridge in 1740s. (V.C.H., Gloucestershire, Vol X, 1972; David Verey, Buildings of England: Gloucestershire - The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1980).

Listing NGR: SO7597409050

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 132543

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1972)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

End of official listing