BLACK HEDLEY FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1156166
Date first listed:
20-Oct-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
18-Jun-1986
Statutory Address:
BLACK HEDLEY FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BLACK HEDLEY FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156166 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Aug-2019 at 05:36:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
BLACK HEDLEY FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Shotley Low Quarter
National Grid Reference:
NZ 05475 51932

Details

SHOTLEY LOW QUARTER BLACK HEDLEY NZ 05 SE NZ 055519

23/246 Black Hedley Farm- house. (formerly listed 20.10.52 as Black Hedley)

GV II

House, c. 1750 for Humphrey Hopper, rear wing rebuilt c. 1930 after fire. Squared stone with rusticated quoins and cut dressings; slate roof; stacks rebuilt in brick on old bases. 2 storeys, 5 bays, symmetrical. Central old half-glazed door in architrave with pulvinated frieze and cornice; 12-pane sashes in raised stone surrounds. Coped gables with moulded kneelers, end stacks. 2-bay left return shows 12-pane sashes in raised stone surrounds, those.to 1st floor under semicircular arches with imposts and keystones; semicircular opening with keyed raised surround to former dovecote. in gable.

Interior: Queen Anne fireplace brought from Derwent Dene, shotley Bridge. Archway with panelled architrave to stair. Open-string stair with moulded newels, stick balusters, ramped and moulded handrail and carved tread ends.

Listing NGR: NZ0547551932

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
240617
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/01664/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].