FOXS GYMNASIUM

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1156234

Date first listed: 20-Aug-1979

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Feb-1999

Statutory Address: FOXS GYMNASIUM, QUEEN'S AVENUE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FOXS GYMNASIUM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156234 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 09:46:29.

Location

Statutory Address: FOXS GYMNASIUM, QUEEN'S AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Rushmoor (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SU 86920 52361

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ALDERSHOT SU 85 SE QUEEN'S AVENUE (South East side) 991-0/2156 Fox's Gymnasium 20.8.79

GV II

Gymnasium. 1894, for Colonel Fox of the Army Gymnastic Staff; extended mid C20. Brick with slate roof. Rectangular plan with front office and N side changing rooms. EXTERIOR: single-storey; 5-bay gable and 19-bay sides. Gables have stepped corbelled brackets, and round-arched openings. Ends articulated by buttresses between sunken bays, the entrance gable has a porch with matching gable with round-arched entrance to recessed door, round-arched windows rising with the eaves, and a central oculus, the rear gable has 4 round-arched windows and a left-hand round-arched door. N side has end and central projecting gabled porches with clasping buttresses and eaves corbels, as the ends: the central porch has a round-arched doorway with splayed sides and double doors and small flanking lights beneath an oculus, end gables with 3 ground-floor and a first-floor Venetian window, and parapeted linking ranges with 6 round-arched windows; metal-framed windows. Opposite side articulated by deep buttresses, with small round-arched lights, with a central gabled porch. Front gable and rear end of N side have mid C20 single-storey extensions. Roof has large ridge lantern. INTERIOR: has front offices and side changing rooms, balcony to entrance end on cast-iron columns, and wide, light wrought-iron trusses with paired struts and curved bottom tie. HISTORY: built for the Army Gymnastic Staff, founded in 1860, as part of the rebuilding of the first temporary camps. The first of 3 similar gyms at Aldershot including the Maida Gym (qv), the second generation of army gyms, built to develop gymnastics to improve the condition of the soldiers. (Oldfield E A L: Army Gymnastic Staff- 1952-: 5; Childerhouse T: Military Aldershot, the first fifty years: London: 1990-).



Listing NGR: SU8596151712

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 137883

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Childerhouse, T , Military Aldershot the first fifty years, (1990)
Oldfield, E A L, History of the Army Gymnastic Staff, (1952), 5

End of official listing