DOUAI ABBEY CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1156252

Date first listed: 10-Nov-1983

Statutory Address: DOUAI ABBEY CHURCH

Map

Ordnance survey map of DOUAI ABBEY CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156252 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 00:37:32.

Location

Statutory Address: DOUAI ABBEY CHURCH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Woolhampton

National Grid Reference: SU 57704 68214

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOOLHAMPTON UPPER WOOLHAMPTON SU 56 NE 3/10 Douai Abbey Church

GV II*

Church. 1928-33, by J Arnold Crush. Red brick with stone dressings, string course carried up over windows as hoodmould, plinths and parapets of chequered flint and stone; tiled choir roof, others not visible. Free Curvilinear Gothic style. Choir, aisles, north aisle chapel and Lady chapel with polygonal apse. Choir: 2 bays, that to east short. 4-light aisle windows, those to east 2-lights; 2-light clerestory windows, those to east of one light; clerestory to east with central 3-light window flanked by cusped lancets. Low chapel projecting from western bay to north with two 2-light windows. Newel turret to north-east of choir with parapet and lancet openings. Temporary west end with 3 lancets and circular window above lean-to proch. Lady chapel: 3 bays, 3-light windows; east window of 4 lights. Interior: ashlar faced and stone vaulted throughout. Choir arcades with moulded bases and capitals, and moulded arches. The church remains unfinished. J. Arnold Crush was a pupil of Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. Douai is a Benedictine Abbey. BOE; Berkshire, p. 312; Berkshire Architectural Guide, Betjeman and Piper, Murray, 1949, p. 156.

Listing NGR: SU5770468214

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 39694

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 312
'Murrays Architectural Guide' in Berkshire, (1949), 156

End of official listing