GROUP OF THREE MONUMENTS, IN THE CHURCHYARD, ABOUT 3 METRES SOUTH SOUTH EAST OF THE PORCH, CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1156273
Date first listed:
17-Mar-1987
Statutory Address:
GROUP OF THREE MONUMENTS, IN THE CHURCHYARD, ABOUT 3 METRES SOUTH SOUTH EAST OF THE PORCH, CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROUP OF THREE MONUMENTS, IN THE CHURCHYARD, ABOUT 3 METRES SOUTH SOUTH EAST OF THE PORCH, CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156273 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 19:34:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
GROUP OF THREE MONUMENTS, IN THE CHURCHYARD, ABOUT 3 METRES SOUTH SOUTH EAST OF THE PORCH, CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Forest of Dean (District Authority)
Parish:
Kempley
National Grid Reference:
SO6699031249

Details

KEMPLEY - SO 63 SE

4/130 Group of Three monuments, in the churchyard, about 3m south-south- east of the porch, Church of St. Mary

GV II

Chest tombs: C18: stone. (i) James Gurney, died 1743, Jane Gurney, 1735: flat lid, moulded edge, lyre ends, sides central panel with low relief scrolls to sides. Moulded base. (ii) Henry Mathew, died 1725: flat lid, moulded edge, wide pilaster ends, rococo carving on stem and its returns; rococo carving to sides, moulded base. (iii) Southernmost, inscription on north side illegible, south to Henry Mathew, died 1776. Flat lid, moulded edge, corner quarter-rectangular fluted balusters with acanthus-leaf carving: rococo ends and sides, with heads in top centre of sides: moulded base.

Listing NGR: SO6699031250

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
125948
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/14225/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian R Edwards. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].