OTTERBURN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1156287
Date first listed:
18-Feb-1987
Statutory Address:
OTTERBURN HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of OTTERBURN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156287 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 20:17:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
OTTERBURN HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Otterburn
National Park:
NORTHUMBERLAND
National Grid Reference:
NY 88380 94333

Details

OTTERBURN OTTERBURN HALL NY 89 SE 25/45 Otterburn Hall 18.2.87 GV II

Country house, now hotel. 1870 for Lord James Douglas. Porch added and entrance front altered 1905 for Sir Charles Morrison-Bell. Billiard room added, and remodelled internally after a fire in 1930. Brick in Flemish bond with ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roof. Tudor style, irregular plan.

Entrance front 2 storeys, 5 bays and projecting 3-storey gabled right bay. In 2nd bay large 2-storey porch with pointed-arched doorway flanked by diagonal buttresses with offsets. Above a crest with a bird in a high-relief Baroque wreath, above that a face and swags. On 1st floor 4-light mullioned window, cornice with grotesque carvings and Tudor roses, gargoyles at the angles. Irregular centre 3 bays have large mullioned-and-transomed windows of 3, 4 and 8 lights, the latter an extruded bay. Cross-gabled right bay has mullioned-and-transomed cross windows and a 4-light window on 2nd floor. Decorative Baroque-style rainwater heads. Parapet front to main part. Elsewhere gabled roofs and tall brick stacks with stone cornices.

Large conservatory to rear with lean-to roofs around a taller, rectangular central section with hipped roof.

Late C20 extension to rear not of special interest.

Listing NGR: NY8838094333

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
239705
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Oct 2005
Reference: IOE01/14603/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gordon Dixon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].