WHITFIELD HEADSTONE 20 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1156296
Date first listed:
27-Jul-1987
Statutory Address:
WHITFIELD HEADSTONE 20 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, MARKET PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WHITFIELD HEADSTONE 20 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156296 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 04:02:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
WHITFIELD HEADSTONE 20 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Haltwhistle
National Grid Reference:
NY 70786 64008

Details

HALTWHISTLE MARKET PLACE NY 7064 (South side, off) 20/25 Whitfield headstone 20 metres south of Church of the Holy Cross II

Large headstone. 1840 to Rebecca Whitfield. Sculpted by T. Raper (name inscribed in plinth). 2 stages on moulded base. Upper stage has tapering sides narrowing to triangular top; bold relief of urn on base with carved anchor and ropes. Lower stage has gadrooned top and tapering sides narrowing to base. Lower stage inscribed:

In memory of Rebecca, the beloved wife of Edward Whitfield Of Newcastle on Tyne, Shipowner and Merchant, and daughter of Lewis Nanney Esquire of Haltwhistle, who departed this life on the 16th day of November 1840 in the 27th year of her age and who with her INFANT BABY lies here interred.

Listing NGR: NY7078664008

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
240759
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Oct 2003
Reference: IOE01/10506/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Kenneth Robinson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].