THE STORES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1156310
Date first listed:
05-Feb-1987
Statutory Address:
THE STORES, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE STORES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156310 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 16:12:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE STORES, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Cotswold (District Authority)
Parish:
Coln St. Aldwyns
National Grid Reference:
SP 14538 05207

Details

COLN ST ALDWYNS THE GREEN SP 1405-1505 (west side) 12/149 The Stores II House and shop. Part mid-late C16; mostly rebuilt and enlarged c1870 for Sir M.E. Hicks Beach. Random rubble limestone; ashlar chimneys; stone slate roof. Two-storey; shop at east end. Front: parapet gabled end facing The Green with gablets to kneelers. Projecting late C19 shop front to ground floor with hipped roof. Attached spear-topped iron railing enclosure. Upper floor 3-light casement with round arched lights, bold hood moulding and segmental relieving arch; carved Hicks Beach monogram above, date now illegible. Gable-mounted chimney with carved corbels to moulded cap. Sides: mixed 2 and 3-light chamfered mullioned casement fenestration. Upper floor fixed- light with Gothick glazing bars appears earlier than C19 enlargement, probably early C19 insertion in original building. Some indications of blocked window openings on north side of earliest part. West end: parapet gabled end with original C16 3- light mullioned upper floor casement having 4-central arched lights; some roughcast render. Interior: no earlier features retained upon c1870 rebuilding. Said to stand on site of church house. Building at west end could be a fragment of this. Important position at centre of village. (A.R.J. Jurica, 'Coln St Aldwyns' in V.C.H. Glos vii, 1981, pp. 44-55)

Listing NGR: SP1453805207

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
127397
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1981), 44-55

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/10504/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ben White. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]d.org.uk.