The Old School House and The Old Boys School


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
The Old Boys School, Allendale, Hexham, NE47 8AA
Statutory Address:
The Old School House, Allenheads, Hexham, NE47 9HR


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156372.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2021 at 03:22:53.


Statutory Address:
The Old Boys School, Allendale, Hexham, NE47 8AA
Statutory Address:
The Old School House, Allenheads, Hexham, NE47 9HR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
West Allen
National Grid Reference:
NY 80298 47790


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/08/2019

NY 84 NW 21/221

WEST ALLEN ALLENHEADS The Old School House and The Old Boys School

(Formerly listed as Carrshield Expedition Centre, CARRSHIELD (east side))

II Former school, dated 1851. Squared stone with ashlar dressings, tooled and margined plinth and quoins. One and two storeys, seven bays, symmetrical. Central gabled projecting two-storey bay has three-light ground floor window, two-light window above and panel in gable inscribed: CAR SHIELD SCHOOL/ BUILT BY AND ON LAND BELONGING TO/ W.B. BEAUMONT, ESQ./ FOR THE EDUCATION OF CHILDREN/ OF ALL RELIGIOUS DENOMINATIONS/ 1851.

Flanking sections of one tall storey, each with central bay set forward as a gabled porch; renewed doors under tall overlights, panels above with GIRLS SCHOOL (left) and BOYS SCHOOL (right). Coped gables. Intermediate bays have tall tripartite sashes. All openings in recessed and hollow-chamfered surrounds. Coped left gable with corniced stone stack; tall corniced stone stacks flank centre bay. Right gable capped by bellcote carried on four block corbels. Date panel below four-centred-arched opening, cornice above and triangular finials. Rear elevation altered.

Listing NGR: NY8029847790


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/10373/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ben Robinson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].