MAINSTONE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1156383
Date first listed:
18-Nov-1952
Statutory Address:
MAINSTONE HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MAINSTONE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156383 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 00:03:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
MAINSTONE HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Pixley
National Grid Reference:
SO 65614 39604

Details

PIXLEY CP TRUMPET SO 63 NE Mainstone House 5/131

18.11.52 GV II

Farmhouse. Probably C17 to C18 with C19 alterations. Timber-frame, partly cased in sandstone and partly rendered, tiled roofs and brick stacks. L-plan with wings to east and north. Cellar and two storeys. South elevation of three windows, first floor has 2- and 3-light C19 casements; ground floor a 9-pane and 6-pane early C19 casement to left, and a late C20 glazing bar bow window to the right of roughly central C20 door with gabled canopy; roof hipped to left. Return C19 elevation to west is stone, has three windows, tripartite sashes to ground floor and a central 6-panelled C19 door. North gable has exposed timber-framing with V-struts from collar. Interior has rear frame of east/west range exposed, elaborate run-out chamfer-stops; a priest hole is said to exist in the east end of the upper floor of the east wing. (RCHM Vol II, p 155).

Listing NGR: SO6561439604

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
152796
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932), 155

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/06687/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek C. Harrison. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].