THE REFECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1156408

Date first listed: 25-Mar-1955

Statutory Address: THE REFECTORY, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE REFECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156408 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 03:46:25.

Location

Statutory Address: THE REFECTORY, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Windsor and Maidenhead (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Hurley

National Grid Reference: SU 82590 84102

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HURLEY SU 8284-8384 HIGH STREET (north side) 17/7 The Refectory 25.3.55 GV II*

Part of Refectory of Benedictine priory, now house. C12. altered C14, C16, C19 and C20. Flint and rubble with brick dressings and old tile roof. 2 storeys and attics. North front has one early C14 round-headed arch (the other 2 are now in the ownership of the adjoining property the Cloisters). To the right of this the other part of the front is irregular and has a part-brick infill panel, and C20 casement windows mostly of 2 and 3 lights. C20 roof lights. C20 entrance door and casements on west gable. South front has C20 leaded casements and 2 3-light windows on 1st floor and One 3-light window on ground floor. Interior has fine late mediaeval roof of 6 bays of large arch-braced collar roof trusses with the braces moulded and chamfered. Embedded in the wall, and now at 1st floor level, is the reused spandrel of a later mediaeval fireplace set upside down in the wall with fine rose carvings. Scheduled Ancient Monument.

V.C.H. Vol. III p.152 B.O.E. (BERKSHIRE) P157

Listing NGR: SU8259084102

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 40904

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1906), 152
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 157

End of official listing