CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1156446

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1960

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156446 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 09:20:27.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Test Valley (District Authority)

Parish: Vernhams Dean

National Grid Reference: SU 34984 56929

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 35 NW VERNHAMS DEAN GENERAL

1/36 Church of St. Mary 20.12.60 II

Parish church. Of Norman origin, with a complete restoration of 1851 by A. Ashpital. Aisleless nave and chancel with a small north vestry. Tile roof, western stone bell turret. Walls of flint rubble with stone dressings, including buttresses, small coupled cusped lights to the nave and single lights to the chancel, 5-stepped lancets at the east end, and 2 at the west end below a quatrefoil. The south wall has altered brick quoins, indicating some survival of the old wall. The chief feature is the re-set west doorway (C1200), having a round arch with dog-tooth, 2 inner rows of chevron, 2 inset columns at each side with simple foliage caps. Within, the wall above the chancel arch has 2 prescripton panels (early C19) and a painted and framed Royal Coat of Arms VIC 1 REG 1838. There are some monuments and plaques (1703, 1831, 1834), a floor slab of 1696, and an octagonal C19 Perpendicular font.

Listing NGR: SU3485956778

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 139994

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing