This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1156533



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: New Forest

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ellingham, Harbridge and Ibsley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-Sep-1964

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 143601

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



4/17 Church of St Mary 30.9.64 GV I

Parish church. C13 altered late C15, early/mid C18 & restored 1869-90 by Sir T G Jackson. Squared and rubble Ironstone & Chilmark, Chilmark stone dressings, later brick additions, stone tile and old plain tile roofs. Plan of C13 chancel and nave, remodelled C15 with windows and south rood stair turret, C18 south porch and west wall, C19 organ chamber to north. East end has triple lancet window and angle buttresses. To north paired lancet and large gabled vestry, to south C15 & C19 3-light Perpendicular window with 2-centred doorway between. Nave has to north, east projection for family pew, 3 paired lancets, 3 stepped buttresses, and traces of doorway. To south, east turret has small lights and door. Pedimented brick porch has arched doorway, 1720 on stone keys, and sundial on tympanum. C19 2 or 3-light Perpendicular windows each side. West end of brick has stone plinth and doorway with rustication of alternating sizes. Above arched window and triangular architrave with stone roundel dated 1747. On roof shingled square bellcote with hipped roof. Inside chancel mainly C19. Stained glass by Kempe, organ case by Jackson, C13 trefoiled piscina, barrel vaulted roof, C18 altar rails. C15 screen with simple cinquefoiled openwork. Above is plaster panel and jettied forward tympanum with painted texts. To south, at east C15 doorway to roofloft of which plaster partition remains, monument 1622 to Alice Beconsawe, and 2- centred doorway. Roof C16 having moulded tiebeams and octagonal crownposts and C19 west frame of belfry. To north east C17 restored family pew behind timber screen. C17 pulpit. At west end c1700 reredos of open pediment with dove in middle on grouped Doric pilasters. Putto heads below pediment, over pedimented panel containing C16 Spanish painting, under foliage. C15 octagonal font on earlier base. VCH; Vol 4; 1912; p 566. Buildings of England, Hampshire; N Pevsner; 1966; p209-10.

Listing NGR: SU1436808275

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1912), 566
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 209-10

National Grid Reference: SU 14425 08323


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156533 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2017 at 09:18:39.

End of official listing