CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, TUXFORD ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156553 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 19:19:52.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, TUXFORD ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 73599 68914
EGMANTON TUXFORD ROAD
SK 76 NW
4/25 Church of
Parish church. C11, C12, C13, C14, C15, restored C19. Coursed rubble, random rubble, snecked dressed stone, ashlar, with lead and slate roofs. West tower, nave, north aisle, vestry, south transept. West tower, C15, 3 stages, has moulded and chamfered plinth, 2 string courses, eaves band with 2 gargoyles to north and south, crenellated parapet with 4 crocketed pinnacles. Partial buttress to south east, engaged with nave. Pair of diagonal buttresses to west, 3 setoffs. First stage has to south a stair light. To west, moulded doorway, early C15, with C15 door. Above, round headed triple lancet with panel tracery, partly restored, with hood mould. To its right, a stair light. Second stage has a stair light to east and west. Third stage has 4 C15 double lancet bell openings with panel tracery and hood moulds. Parapet has on north side, inscription and date 1916. Nave north clerestorey, 3 bays, has 3 late C15 round headed double lancets with square heads and hood moulds. Nave south side has to west C16 triple lancet with square headed splayed reveal and hood mould. To its right, slightly projecting unmoulded round headed doorway, C12, with medieval latticed plank door. South clerestorey has 2 C15 round headed double lancets with square heads and hood moulds, that to west cusped. Above, chimney. North aisle, C14, 2 unequal bays, has a buttress at each end and a later central buttress, all 2 setoffs. To east, late C14 restored triple lancet with cusped heads, four centred arched reveal and hood mould. To west, chamfered doorway with elliptical head. West end has late C14 partly restored triple lancet with cusped round heads, elliptical headed reveal and hood mould. East end has a similar triple lancet. Vestry, C19, single bay, has chamfered plinth, sill band, coved eaves and moulded coped gable. North gable has 2 flanking buttresses and single chamfered lancet. West side has a chamfered pointed doorway. Chancel, C15, has coved eaves and coped east gable with kneelers and cross. East end has 2 diagonal buttresses, 2 setoffs and sill band. North side has to east, C16 double lancet with cusped round heads, and square headed reveal. To west, an identical smaller lancet. East end has renewed C14 style 5 light lancet with reticulated tracery, keeled moulded mullions and hood mould with stops. South side has off-centre additional buttress with chamfered plinth, 2 setoffs. To east, C16 double lancet with cusped heads, square headed reveal and remains of 2 mask stops. To west, C14 moulded doorway with C19 door. Above, re- set traceried panel with 2 blank shields. Above it, blocked chamfered lancet. To west again, remains of doorway. To its left, C15 double lancet with coved heads, and square headed reveal. South transept, late C14, restored C19, single bay, has chamfered plinth and moulded sill band, coped south gable with kneelers and cross. To south, 2 pairs of corner buttresses, 2 setoffs. East side has much restored C14 triple lancet with cusped ogee heads, reticulated tracery and splayed square headed reveal. South gable has late C14 triple lancet, similar to east side, with chamfered and rebated segmental headed reveal with hood mould. West side has stepped plinth and to left, C19 moulded pointed doorway with hood mould and stops. To right, C13 triple lancet with trefoil heads and splayed reveal. Nave north arcade, late C12, 4 bays, has 3 round piers with chamfered and water holding bases and square waterleaf capitals. C19 half round responds with chamfered square capitals. Chamfered and rebated arches. South side has chamfered stoup to east of south door, and to east again, C14 transept arch, double chamfered and rebated, with filleted responds with moulded bases and octagonal moulded capitals. Low pitched C15 roof, restored, with moulded purlins and tie beams with floral bosses. Large square corbels carrying straight and curved brackets. Tower arch, C13, double chamfered and rebated, with tapered traceried panelled imposts. North aisle has restored C15 lean-to roof with moulded timbers and C19 brackets. Chancel arch, C14, double chamfered and rebated, with moulded impost, foliate carving, dogtooth and mask corbel to north, and simple moulded impost to south. Carved and painted timber chancel screen, rood loft and rood by Comper, c.1896. Screen has traceried panels, and above, 6 traceried panels, the outer pair with figure paintings. Above again, overhanging ribbed canopy and rood loft with carved bressummers, traceried panels, moulded top rail carrying rood. Above again, curved overhanging panelled canopy with text, pierced cresting and angel bosses at corners. Chancel, 3 bays, has on north side, to east, restored C14 traceried ogee headed aumbry and above, moulded bracket. East end has sill band and window with stained glass by Comper, 1896. South side has to east late C19 trefoil headed double piscina with octagonal shaft, and to its right, C13 chamfered pointed piscina. Window reveal to west has sundial and effigy of BVM by Comper. South transept has moulded sill band. East side has to north, C14 chamfered square aumbry with C19 doors. To its left, C19 spiral stair to rood loft. South end has, to east, damaged early C14 piscina with cusped trefoil head. To west, cove and roll moulded semi-circular tomb recess, C14, containing crude C20 effigy. South window has fragments of stained glass, C14. West side has moulded stone bench. Fittings include conical font with round base on octagonal plinth, with carved and inscribed cover. Octagonal skeleton timber pulpit by Comper. 18 C18 oak benches with moulded square ends and backs, 2 C20 moulded and pierced stalls and desks. 2 C19 hanging lamps, canopied hanging pyx attributed to Comper, 3 wrought iron sconces, C20 multiple candle stand and C19 timber lectern with round stem and traceried brackets and book stand. Square iron bound poor box, C15, inscribed 'Remember the Poor'. Above south door, large bracketed organ case with shutters and image of BVM, painted texts and decoration, by Comper. Monuments include slate and alabaster Renaissance Revival style wall monument to William Cardinall, 1598. Square inscribed panel with panelled surround with rosettes, apron with strapwork and cornice. Central crest with dentillated base and scroll brackets. Above, round crest with Arms, rosettes and bosses, flanked by square dice with quartered Arms. Marble and slate tablet, 1822. 2 benefaction boards with moulded frames, pre-1823. Brass 1918.
Listing NGR: SK7360168916
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing