CHURCH HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1156556

Date first listed: 17-Mar-1987

Statutory Address: CHURCH HOUSE, THE CAUSEWAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156556 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 19:56:56.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH HOUSE, THE CAUSEWAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean (District Authority)

Parish: Redmarley D'abitot

National Grid Reference: SO 75202 31283

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

REDMARLEY D'ABITOT THE CAUSEWAY SO 73 SE (east side)

6/151 Church House

GV II

House: late C16, altered C19, C20. Flemish bond brickwork to ground floor, brick-nogged timber-framing first floor, tiled roof. Four or 5 bays, one room deep, 2½ storeys. Facade to road: plinth, two 3-light casements on right, weatherboard over; late C20 boarded door under open gabled hood on curved brackets, off quarter landing, up 4 concrete steps against house. Two 2-light casement windows; projecting brick chimney breast. First floor, weatherboard on sill: framing close studded, one panel high to eaves. Long straight braces corner posts and one intermediate post to sill. Two-light casement on right: framing interrupted by brick chimney, extending above eaves. Three 2-light casements; external brick stack with tiled offsets. Left return, late C20 oriel bow in brick ground floor; close studded first floor with long braces: 3-light casement with weatherboard over: cambered tie beam to truss, 4-pane window below collar, with weatherboard on latter. Plain bargeboards. Mixed square panels and close studding on rear. Probably jetty on street facade originally. Building used as parish workhouse late C18 to 1834, then as house: was village bakehouse late C19, early C20, later Post Office. Forms group with church, The Inn House and Old Cottage (q.v.). (C.R.O.: D 3828/3; V.C.H. Worcestershire, Vol. III, 1913.)

Listing NGR: SO7520231283

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 125970

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1913)

End of official listing