THE CHANTRY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1156591

Date first listed: 01-Apr-1985

Statutory Address: THE CHANTRY, 40, HARDWICK TERRACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CHANTRY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156591 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 01:41:32.

Location

Statutory Address: THE CHANTRY, 40, HARDWICK TERRACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw (District Authority)

Parish: Clumber and Hardwick

National Grid Reference: SK 63806 75621

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 67 NW WORKSOP HARDWICK TERRACE (East side)

4/78 No. (40 The Chantry)

G.V. II

Choir school and residence, now house. Built by the Duke of Newcastle to house the chapel choristers. 1912. Brick with hipped and gabled plain tile roofs. Ashlar dressings, moulded first floor band, bracketted eaves. 2 external side wall and 2 ridge stacks. Most windows are mullioned and transomed leaded casements, some with hood moulds. Balanced west front has projecting bay to right and 2 shouldered coped gables with finials. 2 storeys plus attics, 4 bays. West front has moulded ashlar doorcase with corbelled arched pediment containing cartouche with the initial To left, canted bay window with parapet and 3 casements. To right, 2 casements. Above, 4 casements, one through eaves. Above again, flat roofed leaded dormer, 5 lights. 2 decorative rainwater heads and to left, datestone inscribed '1912'. North and south sides have single projecting bays and original irregular fenestration. Mainly original interior has 2 brick and single ashlar fireplaces. Outside, original boarded gate with matching curved flanking fences and domed posts. Included for group value only.

Listing NGR: SK6380675621

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 241287

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing