PUBLIC LIBRARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1156593
Date first listed:
07-May-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
24-Jun-1977
Statutory Address:
PUBLIC LIBRARY, MARKET PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PUBLIC LIBRARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156593 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 05:56:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
PUBLIC LIBRARY, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Wychavon (District Authority)
Parish:
Evesham
National Grid Reference:
SP 03732 43756

Details

MARKET PLACE 1. 5249 (East Side) Public Library SP 0343 NE 1/224 II GV 2. 1908-9. Architect: G.H.Hunt of Evesham. Classical. Red brick with stone dressings; 2 storeys; 5 casement windows in moulded stone architraves with keyblocks and pediments, the 2 outer windows at either side having balustrades. The ground storey has semi- circular headed windows with keyblocks and central doorway with rectangular fanlight, multi-panelled divided door and stone Roman Doric portico surmounted by balustrade and urns; string-course; stone modillion bracket eaves cornice; brick parapet.

The Public Library, Nos 6 and 6A, Nos 7 and 8 and Walker Hall form a group with Abbot Reginald's Gateway and The Old Vicarage Church of St Lawrence, Church of All Saints, The Bell Tower, Abbot Reginald's Wall and the Porter's Lodge, Remains of west wall of the North Transept of Abbey, Archway to south of the Remains of west wall of the North Transept of Abbey, Market Place and Nos 53 and 54 incorporating Remains of Abbey Gate, Gate and railings of No 53, Remains of Abbey Stables, The Almonry and The Stocks, Merstow Green.

Listing NGR: SP0373243756

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
147465
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/04098/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Harnwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].