STAGSHAW HOUSE WITH ATTACHED GATEWAY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1156599

Date first listed: 15-Apr-1969

Statutory Address: STAGSHAW HOUSE WITH ATTACHED GATEWAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of STAGSHAW HOUSE WITH ATTACHED GATEWAY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156599 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 06:33:53.

Location

Statutory Address: STAGSHAW HOUSE WITH ATTACHED GATEWAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Sandhoe

National Grid Reference: NY 98485 66799

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SANDHOE STAGSHAW NY 96 NE 5/324 Stagshaw House, 15.4.69 with attached gateway

GV II

House, mid-C19 extended and altered 1920 by Hicks and Charlewood. Tooled-and- margined ashlar with raised quoins; graduated Lakeland slate roof. South front in 3 parts: right section, the original house, 3 storeys, 3 bays. Plinth, modillion eaves cornice. 3 steps up to central glazed. door with patterned overlight, flanked by narrow sashes, all under cornice. 12-pane sash above, in architrave with cornice on brackets. Flanking 2-storey canted bays with renewed small-paned sashes under moulded cornices. On 2nd floor 5 plate-glass sashes with patterned lintels. Hipped roof with 2 tall stepped ridge stacks, with panelled shafts and broad swept cornices. Attached gateway to right has panelled piers and capitals with pomegranate finials, holding decorative wrought-iron gate. Right return shows projecting Tuscan porch with panelled double doors under radial fanlight and balustraded parapet. 2 storey domestic wing to rear.

On left a 3-storey recessed linking bay with 1st floor band, triple ground floor sash of 1920, 1st floor 12-pane sash under pedimented cornice and 2nd floor 12-pane sash. Large 1920 extension to left: 2 storeys, 3+3 bays. Right part set back behind Tuscan tetrastyle portico with balustrade above; left part has central bow with balustraded parapet. Hipped roof; banded-and-corniced ridge stack.

Formerly known as Stagshaw Close House, first recorded in the early C18.

Listing NGR: NY9848566799

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 240083

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing