CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156792 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 18:56:27.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 61155 35785
WOOLHOPE CP WOOLHOPE
SO 63 NW
4/268 Church of St George
Parish church. Part of chancel C12, nave and aisles c1300, west tower late C13, restored 1848 and 1883 when the south porch was added and the south aisle extended eastwards. Sandstone rubble and sandstone dressings, tiled roofs. Continuous arcaded nave and chancel, north and south aisles, west tower and south porch. West tower: three stages, diagonal buttresses to north-west and south-west with off-sets; first and second stages are con- tinuous, chamfered lancet to north and south sides of second stage, larger roll-moulded lancet to each side of the top stage; double string course beneath plain parapet with a waterspout to north-west and south sides; newel lights to south side of west end with corbel head to string course above dividing second and third stages. North aisle has a trefoil-headed restored single-light west window, three restored windows to the north each of two lights, a priests' door to the west of the easternmost and a chamfered lancet at the east end. The east window has three restored lights with trefoiled heads beneath cinquefoil tracery; south window, again restored, has one light with a trefoiled head; at the south-east corner is a diagonal buttress with off-sets. South aisle has C19 lancets in the eastern part, one C15 3- light trefoiled window to the east of the porch and a pair of C19 lancets under a relieving arch at the west end. C19 oak south porch has arch-braces from front corner-posts to a cambered tie-beam supporting a crown post and panelled sides with cinquefoiled openings above. South doorway has C13 2- centred chamfered arch and jambs with label and stops. Interior: C19 con- tinuous wagon roof to nave and chancel; curved braces to collars in trussed rafter roofs of north and south aisles; a deeply splayed C12 window separates the east end of the north side of the chancel from the north aisle; restored north arcade and C19 south arcade, the eastern piers octagonal, the rest cylindrical; north-west arch is semi-circular, the north-east 2-centred. Piscina in chancel has multi-foiled head and quatrefoil drain. Enclosing the chancel on three sides are C19 screens. Cyclindrical C19 diapered pulpit and contemporary font with four columns supporting square basin decorated with trefoil-headed panels; above is a pyramidical font cover with cut-out quatrefoils, chain and pulley. Tower arch is 2-centred with double chamfers, the inner one supported on each side by a cluster of three wall shafts on corbels, one with a head. Two coffin lids, one possibly C13, the other C14 in north aisle; cushion capital on shaft stands at the west side of the south door. (RCHM Vol II, p 220-1).
Listing NGR: SO6115535785
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932), 220-1
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.