ABBEY MILL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1156800
Date first listed:
08-Oct-1959
Date of most recent amendment:
10-Jun-1987
Statutory Address:
ABBEY MILL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ABBEY MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156800 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jun-2019 at 22:49:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
ABBEY MILL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
New Forest (District Authority)
Parish:
Beaulieu
National Park:
NEW FOREST
National Grid Reference:
SU 38761 02294

Details

BEAULIEU HIGH STREET SU 3802/3902 (east side) 17/31 Abbey Mill (Formerly listed as 8.10.59 part of Mill and Mill House) GV II* Mill. Mid C18, altered C19, in use until 1940. Brick walled front range to timber-frame building, weatherboarded rear wing, old plain tile roof. Mill between The Mill House and C19 service courtyard (built for mill trade) attached to Mill Cottage; 1½ storey, 5 bay front range with 2 storey, 2 bay wing and other additions to rear. Front has to centre double doors under loft door and side light part in gabled dormer. To LH 4-light casement and two 2-light casements and to RH 2-light casements. Over LH bays and RH end bay 2-light leaded casement in gabled dormer. Over RH of centre bay, high-up, single light gabled dormer. Roof 1/2-hipped to RH. Over centre bay hip-roofed, weatherboarded square cupola. Behind to LH top of gable of rear range. Inside rare surviving timber compass arm wheel, 2 sets of stones and complete milling machinery.

Listing NGR: SU3868502147

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
143307
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].