CANON FROME COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1156973
Date first listed:
18-Nov-1952
Statutory Address:
CANON FROME COURT

Map

Ordnance survey map of CANON FROME COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156973 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2019 at 01:40:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
CANON FROME COURT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Canon Frome
National Grid Reference:
SO 64507 43512

Details

CANON FROME CP CANON FROME SO 64 SW

5/114 Canon Frome Court

18.11.52

GV II

Country house, now divided into apartments. Dated 1786 and attributed to Anthony Keck for Richard Cope Hopton, replacing an earlier house, further additions, porch dated 1814 and music room 1914, and further alterations during 1950's when house became a school. Red brick, ashlar dressings, hipped slate roof. Double-pile with central entrance and stairwell facing north with former music room to west and further additions to former service wing to east. Three storeys, dentilled eaves cornice; 2:3:2 bays, glazing-bar sash windows, central three in pedimented slightly forward break with central blank arch and segmental head to top floor window, Venetian window to first floor, string course with Vitruvian scroll enrich- ment above former portico with attached Tuscan columns and date R C H 1786, now obscured by later porch dated 1814; south front is similar (without added porch). Interior: entrance hall double screen of scagliola columns with Corinthian capitals. Formerly contained fine C17 overmantels which were largely removed and sold during 1950's, one is reputed to remain in former Billiard room. These were removed and reset from the earlier house on the site. Formerly the seat of the Hopton family it was acquired by Hereford County Council in 1957 and became a school during 1954; it has since become the property of a housing association. (Burke's and Saville's Guide to Country Houses, 1980, p 13; RCHM Vol II, p 45, item 2; BoE, p 98).

Listing NGR: SO6450743512

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
153079
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932), 45
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 98
Reid, P, 'Burkes and Savills Guide to Country Houses' in Herefordshire Shropshire Warwickshire Worcestershire, (1980), 13

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].