Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156985.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Mar-2021 at 04:18:31.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 82974 62044



9/62 Church of All Saints


G.V. I

Parish Church, C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, Cl7, C19. Coursed blue lias rubble, ashlar plinths, buttresses, organ chamber, and dressings; tower rendered. Leaded and stone slab roofs. West tower, nave, chancel, north and south aisles, north and south porches, organ chamber, vestry. West tower, 2 stages, battlemented parapet with 4 crocketed pinnacles, 2 diagonal buttresses to west with 3 setoffs plus plinth. West window has C13 moulded opening with label mould containing triple lancet with restored panel tracery; above, clock, and 2 round headed openings on south. 2nd stage has triple lancet bell openings with 4 centred arched heads. North aisle and Vestry, C14 and C19, form a continuous range of 4 bays. Plinth, 3 buttresses of 3 setoffs; 2 triple lancets with cusped quatrefoils in square headed chamfered openings. East window C15 triple lancet in splayed 4 centred arched opening with hood mould and mask stops. West window, C19 triple lancet with decorated tracery in chamfered opening with plain hood mould. North porch, C13, rubble with slab roof, coped eaves and gable containing corbelled niche, 2 buttresses with gabled capitals,. Doorway, C13 with double chamfer and cove moulding. Interior has 3 bay vaulted roof with 2 transverse cove moulded pierced ribs and C13 double chamfered and rebated doorway containing C18 panelled door with iron latch. Nave Clerestorey, C15, has on north side 3 double lancets with cusped heads and chamfered eaves; on south side, double lancet like north side and 2 larger triple lancets to east, with Decorated tracery. Chancel north side has single 4 centred arched opening containing C14 double lancet with Decorated tracery and single square headed light in chamfered reveal in eastern return angle. East end has 5 lancets with Decorated tracery in 4 centred arched opening with plain hood mould. Coped gable with cross. South side has sill band and off-centre priests door with decorated spandrels and lintel, and sundials on each jamb; flanked to west by triple lancet with Decorated tracery and plain hood mould; to east by 2 similar lancets both blocked at the base. South aisle, 3 bays, has 3 buttresses of 3 setoffs, moulded parapet each end, 2 triple lancets with Decorated tracery. East end has C19 triple lancet with panel tracery and hood mould with mask stops. C15 south porch has plinth, rendered walls, coped gable, C19 timber leaded roof, 2 diagonal buttresses of 2 setoffs, 4 centred arched doorway. South doorway has C13 double chamfered and rebated opening with hood mould and narrow-panelled C18 door. Nave north arcade, C13, 3 bays, has clustered piers with keeled major shafts, waterleaf and stiff-leaf capitals, clustered responds with shaft rings, 2 mask stops in spandrels. South arcade, C13, 3 bays, clustered piers with keeled minor shafts and filleted major shafts; moulded imposts with dogtooth, that to east with mask corbel. Below, C14 double piscina in rectangular chamfered surround with detached octagonal shaft. Nave roof, C19, low pitched, with corbels carrying arch braces to tie beams, and arch braces to rafters; decorative bosses. Fittings comprise C19 plain pews. Tower arch, C14, double roll moulding and chamfer, mask at apex. Triple shaft respond to south with keeled major shaft and moulded capital; north respond has stiff leaf capital to major shaft and additional projecting mask capitals to minor shafts. Tower arch screen, C19, leaded glass and timber. Ringing chamber has Royal Arms on canvas and 2 C19 commandment boards printed on steel. North aisle, 3 bays, 2 windows, has C13 moulded and chamfered doorway to Vestry, moulded and gilt pelmet to north door. East end has small C14 piscina and 2 C15 incised slabs; classical wall tablet, 1772: Low pitch C19 panelled roof. South aisle has memorial tablets of 1703, 1839 and 7 later C19 and C20 tablets. C18 panelled door with baroque pelmet. Font has round base with 4 octagonal columns carrying plain octagonal bowl; panelled timber font cover, C17, with intarsia decoration and chip carving. C19 panelled roof, 6 bays, with painted panels. Chancel arch C13, double chamfered and rebated, with clustered shaft responds with shaft rings and simple waterleaf capitals. Chancel north side has C19 organ chamber, decorative timber reredos, 1924. South side has rectangular piscina in chamfered opening and C15 priest's door, now fitted with baroque pelmet. Beyond, blocked round-headed doorway. Fittings include C19 choir stalls with ivy finials. Roof, C15, 5 bays, low pitch, has corbels carrying curved braces to principal rafters. Main timbers roll and cove moulded. Various stained glass windows, late C19 and C20.

Listing NGR: SK8297462044


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/15443/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gerard Sheridan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].