Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1157113

Date first listed: 06-Mar-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157113 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2019 at 02:46:54.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Stretton Grandison

National Grid Reference: SO 63285 44073


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



5/158 Church of St Lawrence



Parish church. C14 rebuilding of earlier C12 structure. C17 porch, restored mid-C19 with addition of north vestry. Coursed and squared sandstone rubble, ashlar dressings, slate roofs. West tower, nave with south porch and chancel with north vestry. West tower: three stages with diagonal buttressing, embattled parapet and octagonal spire, window of single trefoiled light to south of second stage, single ogee-headed lights to vents of belfry stage. Nave: three bays, one window with two trefoiled ogee-headed lights and quatrefoil to left and two similar windows to right of gabled south porch with chamfered inner doorway, similar arrange- ment to north with blocked door. Chancel: two bays, square-headed window to left with two trefoiled ogee-headed lights, single trefoiled ogee-headed light to right flanking square-headed doorway with moulded jambs. Interior: C15 trussed rafter roof, blocked doorway in east wall of nave to former rood loft with traces of upper doorway also visible; chancel arch of two chamfered orders, inner dying onto responds. Fittings: restored C14 font, hexagonal bowl with quatrefoil panel to each facet, plain stem and base. C15 pulpit, four-sided with trefoiled and cusped heads to panels with further traceried details. Monuments: Hopton memorial on north wall of chancel, wall tablet, 1668, sandstone and alabaster broken pediment supported by twisted columns with Ionic capitals, two central inscription panels with semi-circular heads, further swag and cherub head enrichments, commemmorates Edward Hopton, died 1668, and Deborah Hatton, his second wife died 1702; south wall of nave, Taylor mamorial, wall tablet, 1676, sandstone enriched border with cherub head commemmorates John Taylor, died 1676. Fragment of wall painting depicting St Christopher above south door.

Listing NGR: SO6328444071


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 153121

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing