FIVE MONUMENTS, INCLUDING ANNATHE NEWMAN MONUMENT, IN THE CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF ST PETER, CIRCA 4.5 METRES NORTH OF THE TOWER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1157115
Date first listed:
25-Mar-1987
Statutory Address:
FIVE MONUMENTS, INCLUDING ANNATHE NEWMAN MONUMENT, IN THE CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF ST PETER, CIRCA 4.5 METRES NORTH OF THE TOWER, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of FIVE MONUMENTS, INCLUDING ANNATHE NEWMAN MONUMENT, IN THE CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF ST PETER, CIRCA 4.5 METRES NORTH OF THE TOWER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157115 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 18:54:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
FIVE MONUMENTS, INCLUDING ANNATHE NEWMAN MONUMENT, IN THE CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF ST PETER, CIRCA 4.5 METRES NORTH OF THE TOWER, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Cotswold (District Authority)
Parish:
Windrush
National Grid Reference:
SP 19315 13040

Details

WINDRUSH THE GREEN, Windrush Village SP 1913 10/243 Five monuments, including Annathe Newman monument, in the churchyard of the Church of St. Peter, c4.5m north of the tower GV II*

Annathe Newman bale tomb and pairs of headstones either side. C17- mid C18. Limestone. Chest tomb to Annathe Newman, wife of John Newman, daughter of Hercule and Elizabeth Hitchman, died 1713. Moulded plinth. Raised inscription plaque on north side, similar inscription plaque on south. Narrow fielded panels at either end. Quarter balusters with acanthus decoration at corners. Capping with moulded margin. Balestone with ribbed decoration on bands and scalloped ends. Carved face with large scrolls covering cheeks at west end. Flower at centre of scallop at east end. Double headstone to right. Segmental head to each half. Left side initialled and dated 'K.F. 1694'. Right half initialled and dated 'R.F. 1704'. Both inscriptions in large raised letters. Headstone to right with partially legible inscription with date 1606 on oval inscription plaque within foliate margin. Triangular pediment flanked by scrolls. Marginal panels either side of inscription plaque. Headstone to left of bale tomb. C18. Segmental head. Partially legible inscription to (?) Rowland and Mary Jackson within a finely carved foliate border. Three, winged cherubs' heads at tops. Small headstone to left of the latter. Traces of inscription within flowing foliate border. Winged cherub's head at top. A particularly fine group of varied monuments, flanking one of the church paths.

Listing NGR: SP1931513040

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
130680
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Nov 2002
Reference: IOE01/09443/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Cotterill. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].