CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1157220

Date first listed: 05-Dec-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, HUNTON LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157220 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 18:36:39.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, HUNTON LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Winchester (District Authority)

Parish: Wonston

National Grid Reference: SU 48117 39638

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 43 NE WONSTON HUNTON LANE Hunton 4/13 5.12.55 Church of St James GV II

Church. C13 rebuilt C18 & 1865. Rubble flint with stone dressings and brick, roof plain tiled. Small chancel and nave with squat crennelated West tower. All the windows are C19 Perpendicular. The C18 chequered brick south nave wall has a brick porch and door with brick jambs, but earlier pointed stone head with hollow chamfer. Inside is a small C15 piscina and the plastered chancel arch is 4-centred and springs from the side walls. In the nave is a mutilated C15 tomb and frieze of small panels with quatrefoils, foliage, and IHS mono- gram, possibly a cresting, said to be that of Prior Hunton of Winchester. Church mentioned as chapel to Crawley parish in 1291. VCH; Vol 3; p.403-413.

Listing NGR: SP5858332658

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 145221

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1900), 403-413

End of official listing