CHAPEL OF ST SILAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1157325

Date first listed: 16-Oct-1967

Statutory Address: CHAPEL OF ST SILAS, BOLLINGHAM

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHAPEL OF ST SILAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157325 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 11:41:01.

Location

Statutory Address: CHAPEL OF ST SILAS, BOLLINGHAM

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Eardisley

National Grid Reference: SO 30173 52695

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/08/2015

SO 35 SW 3/38

EARDISLEY CP, Bollingham, Chapel of St Silas

(Formerly listed as Bollingham Chapel, A 4111 (west side))

16.10.67

II*

Chapel. Probably C13, restored in 1867 and 1890. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings and stone-tiled roof laid in diminishing courses. Three- bay nave with west bellcote and south porch and two-bay chancel. Nave: 2- light C19 west window with hoodmould and head stops. North elevation was refaced in C19 and has a buttress with offsets to east of centre, a 2-light window and two cusped lancets, all C19. South elevation has similar windows. West bellcote is C19 and gabled with a gabled finial to the centre of the ridge. There are two pointed arched openings with imposts and a bell in the northern opening. South porch is C19 and gabled with a pointed timber archway and scissor-truss roof. The south doorway has a chamfered timber cambered head and chamfered ashlar jambs. Chancel has a C19 east window of three lights with hoodmould and head stops. In the south elevation is a C19 cusped lancet, to the west of which is a medieval carved corbel. Interior: C19 pointed chancel arch of two chamfered orders, the inner on moulded corbels. Nave has a C14 or C15 roof with arch-braced collar trusses and king-post trusses, moulded wall-plates and a single tier of cusped wind-braces (partly renewed). The chancel roof is also medieval in part and has a central C19 arch-braced collar truss. Font is C19, stone with octagonal bowl on four columns with ornate capitals. Font of similar date, three-sided with engaged columns. There is a stoup east of the south doorway. Memorials: in the nave is a ledger slab to Sarah Higgins, died 1711. (RCHM, III, p 52, item 2).

Listing NGR: SO3017352695

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 150592

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 52

End of official listing