CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1157331

Date first listed: 31-May-1963

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157331 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 07:07:55.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire (District Authority)

Parish: Kingsley

National Grid Reference: SU 77854 37852

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 73 NE KINGSLEY KINGSLEY

7/15 Church of St. Nicholas 31/05/63 II*

Mortuary chapel. C14, mostly 1778. Brick, with some ironstone; and a tile roof. Single-cill church, with medieval east wall and west end. Plain roof, of a slightly steeper pitch to the western section, which has a boarded bell-turret with a shingled spire. The main walling (of 1778) is of brickwork in Flemish bond, brick dentil eaves, cambered openings, double-stepped plinth (with stone offsets); the east wall is cemented and contains a Gothic window of 2 cusped lights below a roundel, the west wall is of ironstone with a plain round-headed doorway, the upper part being brickwork in Flemish bond with the headers. Side windows are leaded lights in oak casements. Brick gabled porch. Stone plaque dated 1778. The interior is plastered, with a flat ceiling having coved sides, and ribs ending in rosettes. The east wall contains painted(early C19) Prescriptions in 4 panels: there is a Mortuary Crib (late C18) formed by a rectangular railed enclosure (with 6 brass sconces, for candles, above the main posts), a panelled C18 pulpit,plain stone tub font (C11) with a wrought-iron cover, gallery of 1800 with irregular panelled front, a chest of cl3OO and 4 mid C19 brass candle- holders mounted on the plain bench pews.

Listing NGR: SU7925438276

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 142263

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing