BATTLE HILL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1157353
Date first listed:
20-Feb-1958
Statutory Address:
BATTLE HILL, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BATTLE HILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157353 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 06:09:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
BATTLE HILL, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Craven (District Authority)
Parish:
Austwick
National Park:
YORKSHIRE DALES
National Grid Reference:
SD 76921 68621

Details

AUSTWICK MAIN STREET SD 76 NE (south side) 8/30 Battle Hill 20. 2.58 GV II House. Dated 1673 with 1920s alterations. Limewashed rubble, painted stone dressings, stone slate roof. 3 room plan. 2 storeys, 3 bays. Projecting 2 storey gabled entrance porch left of centre. Moulded surround and decorated lintel dated and inscribed I L/M hoodmould; late-Cl7 studded plank door. In gable is former 2 light chamfered window with mullion missing; casements. Small chamfered window in right-hand return. In angle to left is carved stair turret with small single light chamfered stair window; 6 pane fixed light-3 ground floor windows. Left-hand 2-light chamfered mullioned with fixed lights, single light chamfered fire window to right of porch and 1920s 3 light flat-faced mullioned window: Two 1920 windows on upper floor; casements. Gable-end and right of centre ridge stacks. Interior: fireplace in right-hand room has chamfered surround and large basket-arched lintel. C17 studded plank doors to most rooms. 2 large stone corbels in attic; probably to support timber fire hood, now gone.



Listing NGR: SD7692168621

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
324035
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12615/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Le Mare. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].