BRIDGE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1157392
Date first listed:
19-Aug-1953
Statutory Address:
BRIDGE HOUSE, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRIDGE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157392 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 22:39:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
BRIDGE HOUSE, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Eardisley
National Grid Reference:
SO 31138 49471

Details

EARDISLEY CP CHURCH ROAD (west side) SO 3049 - 3149 7/64 Bridge House 19.8.53 GV II House. Circa 1600, partly rebuilt late C19 to early C20. Coursed rubble with some brick dressings and some pebbledashed timber-framing; concrete- tiled roof and brick ridge stacks with cogged cap courses. L-plan; main range rebuilt and of four bays aligned north/south. The south end bay is probably a later addition and has brick dressings. Original cross-wing survives at north end, probably three framed bays and has external rubble chimney with offsets and rebuilt brick stack on north side. Two storeys. Framing: not visible externally. North wing has a jettied first floor on part of the north side and at the east end on shaped brackets. East front elevation: windows all have broad moulded architraves and moulded sills. Main range has two 3-light casements and a 2-light casement with rusticated lintels on the ground floor and also a loophole; there are four 2-light case- ments and a small rectangular window on the first floor. The former main entrance at the northern end has an arhcway with a four-centred head and a recessed blocked doorway with side lights. Cross-wing has two first floor 2-light casements. Main entrance now at south end and has a C20 doorcase. (RCHM, III, p 54, item 16).

Listing NGR: SO3113849471

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
150619
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 54

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/10914/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian F. Squires. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].