EAST HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1157407

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1969

Statutory Address: EAST HALL, SCHOOL BANK

Map

Ordnance survey map of EAST HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157407 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 07:19:22.

Location

Statutory Address: EAST HALL, SCHOOL BANK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: Middleton Tyas

National Grid Reference: NZ 22809 05987

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MIDDLETON TYAS SCHOOL BANK NZ 2205-2305 (north side)

9/84 East Hall 4.2.69

GV II*

House. Dated 1713. For Leonard Hartley. Rubble with ashlar dressings, stone slate roof. 2 storeys and attics, 7 bays, with rear outshut and rear wing to left. Quoins. Sash windows with glazing bars in ashlar surrounds. Central canted bay with flat roof, replacing doorway. Dormer windows to second and fourth bays. Shaped kneelers with volutes, ashlar copings. Rendered brick corniced stacks at ends, and double one between fourth and fifth bays. To right, C20 single-storey addition. Rear: chamfered cross windows, some to staircase. Later brick service range to left not of special interest. Left return: C20 single-storey porch with entry to house from right (front). l-bay wing to left with M roof. Rainwater head cast with legend "LH 1713". Right return: 2 bays, with first-floor and attic windows in ashlar architraves. Interior: ground-floor rooms have shutters with fielded panels; sitting room to left has deep cross-beam with moulded cornices; former entrance hall in centre has fanlight with delicate decorative glazing bars; dining room to right has deep cornice; in rear wing, open-well staircase between ground and first floors, with curving handrail, barleysugar balusters and in ceiling above, elliptical hemispherical plaster dome with 2 large shell motifs and small cherubs' heads; on first floor at top of stairs, paired doorways with deep architraves divided by a fluted Tuscan pilaster and doors of 6 fielded panels unconventionally arranged; bedroom to rear left has corner fireplace with bolection overmantel panel with cornice above; front left bedroom has deeply-moulded architraves with tiny keystones to door from landing and connecting door to rear left bedroom, simple fireplace and ceiling divided by deep corniced beams into 4 sections, each with a circular panel with a central rose of acanthus leaves; second left bedroom has simple fireplace and corniced cross-beam with an elliptical panel in each section; small dressing room with fielded-panel cupboard doors; front right bedroom has doors and casings of 8 fielded panels, simple fireplace with overmantel panel, and fielded panelling divided by chair rail; rear right bedroom has corner fireplace with overmantel panel above; staircase betweeen first and second floors with splat baluster; some attic rooms heated. Marmaduke Hartley (d1708) bought property in Middleton Tyas in 1697; his eldest son Leonard (1689-1774), who rebuilt this house, prospered through his involvement in enclosures and copper-mining in the locality. 2 "flower tubs" outside the house are sumpter pots used to collect molten copper from the furnace. T R Hornhaw, Copper Mining in Middleton Tyas (1975, North Yorkshire County Record Office Publications No 6).

Listing NGR: NZ2280905987

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 322150

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hornshaw, T R, 'North Yorkshire County Record Office Publications' in Copper Mining in Middleton Tyas, , Vol. 6, (1975)

End of official listing