PERCEVALL HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1157423

Date first listed: 10-Sep-1954

Statutory Address: PERCEVALL HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of PERCEVALL HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157423 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 07:24:23.

Location

Statutory Address: PERCEVALL HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven (District Authority)

Parish: Appletreewick

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

National Grid Reference: SE 06891 61249

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

APPLETREEWICK SKYREHOLME SE 06 SE

3/20 Percevall Hall

10.9.54 II* -

House, now a retreat for Bradford Diocese. C16, C17 and early C20. Ashlar, coursed squared stone, graduated stone slate roof. Clb and C17 part of house, 2 storeys, 6 bays. To right of this is a 2 storey, 5 bay modern addition, to rear at right angles to house a long wing dated 1929, behind this parallel to the house another wing of 1929. Original house: the left- hand bay is set back, gabled to left return. Between bays 2 and 3 a shallow flat-headed porch with 2 ball finials and a studded door in a chamfered 'RT' surround. To left of porch a drainpipe with waterhead inscribed 1775. Porch is flanked by 6-light double-chamfered mullioned windows with central major mullions and hoodmoulds. To right two 3-light double-chamfered mullion windows with a one-light chamfered window between them. First floor. Bay 2 has 6-light window similar to that below. 2 bays to right of this have 3-light double-chamfered mullioned windows, to right similar window of 2 lights. Right bay has 3-light double-chamfered mullioned window with a hoodmould. Bay 2 has gable with a stepped 3-light chamfered mullioned window with a hoodmould. Shaped kneelers, stone coping. End stack to right, ridge stacks. Additions to house in similar style with mullioned windows. Interior: in the solar is a large inglenook fireplace with a chamfered segmental arch. Downstairs a fireplace dated 1671 with simple diamond shaped plasterwork above. Kitchen has large fireplace with a beehive oven. C17 panelling brought in from other buildings this century. History: once a rest house for Fountains Abbey, later belonging to Bolton Priory. Purchased by Sir Wm Milner in 1928, who designed the additions. Given to the Walsingham Trust in 1960. Country Life, October 25 1962, 'A New Role for a Wharfedale Hall', Bernard Wood pp 1039.

Listing NGR: SE0689161249

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 323673

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 25 October, (1962), 1039

End of official listing