OUTBUILDING ABOUT 20 YARDS NORTH-EAST OF GREAT PENLLAN FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1157523

Date first listed: 19-Aug-1953

Statutory Address: OUTBUILDING ABOUT 20 YARDS NORTH-EAST OF GREAT PENLLAN FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of OUTBUILDING ABOUT 20 YARDS NORTH-EAST OF GREAT PENLLAN FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157523 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 12:12:07.

Location

Statutory Address: OUTBUILDING ABOUT 20 YARDS NORTH-EAST OF GREAT PENLLAN FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Huntington

National Grid Reference: SO 27363 52034

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HUNTINGTON CP - SO 25 SE 2/104 Outbuilding about 20 yards north-east of Great 19.8.53 Penllan Farmhouse - II House, now outbuilding. C15 or earlier, extended in C17, with further late C19, mid- and late C20 alterations. Partly timber-framed, refaced and extended in rubble, some corrugated metal cladding.and corrugated asbestos roofs. Former cruck hall house of two bays aligned north-east/south-west; large chimney inserted at north-east end, probably when building was divided into two storeys and additional bay built at south-east end during C17. In C19 it was refaced and extended to north-east by probably five bays to form a large outbuilding. Two levels. Main north-west elevation: there are two ground floor windows (one with a cambered brick head), four roof lights and six doors (one is a stable door, two have cambered brick heads). A single- bay, two-level wing projects from the second bay from the south-west end which has a loft door in its gable end. Also a lean-to outshut adjoins the south-west bay. Interior: the three pairs of full cruck trusses are largely intact and there is also a re-used moulded and embattled C15 beam. C17 wall- framing is visible at south-west end. Part of the inserted rubble chimney survives. The building has been recently re-roofed, (July 1986). (RCHM, III, p 76,' item 10; BoE, p 190, Alcock, NW: CBA Cruck Catalogue, 1981).

Listing NGR: SO2736352034

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 150659

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 76
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 190
Alcock, N W, 'Council for British Archaeology Research Report' in Cruck Construction An Introduction And Catalogue, (1981)

End of official listing