FRIENDS' MEETING HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1157537

Date first listed: 02-Sep-1966

Statutory Address: FRIENDS' MEETING HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FRIENDS' MEETING HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157537 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 15:58:48.

Location

Statutory Address: FRIENDS' MEETING HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Almeley

National Grid Reference: SO 33277 52423

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ALMELEY CP ALMELEY WOOTTON SO 35 SW 1/19 Friends' Meeting House 2.9.66 GV II* Meeting House. 1672 for Roger Pritchard. Restored 1957. Sandstone rubble plinth and timber-frame with plaster infill. Half-hipped tiled roof. Sandstone rubble side stack incorporating baking oven. Two structural bays aligned north-west/south-west. Two levels. North-east elevation has one window, a 3-light mid-C20 steel casement, above which is small square light. Ground floor has another steel casement of four lights to left of centre. Entry, via timber-framed porch, to right- hand return, has carved lintol to doorway and ledged door, probably C17, with strap hinges. Frame is three square panels high from cill to wall- plate. Inthrior has one truss with raking struts from collar to principals. Short two-flight staircase with moulded handrail. Square newel post with finial carved into facets. Plain flat balusters. Beneath the staircase is a ledged door, probably C17, with strap hinges. Upper level extends over north-east half of the building and has re-used oak floor boards. C20 balusters to south-east form edge of gallery aligned with sawn-off tie-beam. (BoE, p 65; RCHM, Vol III, p 6).

Listing NGR: SO3327752423

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 150388

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 6
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 65

End of official listing