LETTERBOX COTTAGE INCLUDING ATTACHED POST-BOX TO NORTH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1157538
Date first listed:
11-Apr-1986
Statutory Address:
LETTERBOX COTTAGE INCLUDING ATTACHED POST-BOX TO NORTH, COACH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of LETTERBOX COTTAGE INCLUDING ATTACHED POST-BOX TO NORTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157538 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 18:01:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
LETTERBOX COTTAGE INCLUDING ATTACHED POST-BOX TO NORTH, COACH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Test Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
East Tytherley
National Grid Reference:
SU 29330 29361

Details

EAST TYTHERLEY

1613/3/33 COACH ROAD 11-APR-86 EAST TYTHERLEY LETTERBOX COTTAGE including attached p ost-box to north

GV II



Cottage and post-box. C17 altered C18 and C20; post-box circa 1857-9. Timber-frame with rendered infill and brick encasing, old plain tile roof. End onto road 1 bay 2 storey cottage outshot on both sides. Road end has exposed frame 4-light casement over 2-light casement. At road end on R side stack, beyond 2-light casement and stable type door. Roof half-hipped. This and the Smithy (qv) are part of landscape features of E Tytherley Manor, now demolished. Including attached post-box to north set in small rendered brick pier with tile capping; a rare survival of a post-box first introduced in 1857 and superseded in 1859 by a version having a pitched top, because the earlier model was found to leak; both types have flaps and hoods to the aperture.

Listing NGR: SU2931927832

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
140880
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Oct 2004
Reference: IOE01/13594/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Cano-Lopez. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].