REMAINS OF HUNTINGTON CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1157544
Date first listed:
16-Oct-1967
Statutory Address:
REMAINS OF HUNTINGTON CASTLE

Map

Ordnance survey map of REMAINS OF HUNTINGTON CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157544 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 11:55:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
REMAINS OF HUNTINGTON CASTLE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Huntington
National Grid Reference:
SO 24839 53804

Details

HUNTINGTON CP HUNTINGTON SO 25 SW 1/110 Remains of Huntington Castle 16.10.67 - II

Castle remains. C13, or earlier origins, repaired in 1403, abandoned in 1460 (although one tower still in use as prison in 1521). Sandstone rubble. Earthworks consist of a motte 40 yards in diameter and three feet high with an oval inner bailey to the north-east and a crescent-shaped outer bailey also to the north-east. The inner bailey is approached by a causeway on the east side which probably marks the site of a former gate- house. The bailey was enclosed by a curtain wall; one fragment of this wall survives to the west about 20 feet high. Also part of a C13 tower remains to the north with a small chamber in the adjoining section of curtain wall. This chamber has traces of a window and two small recesses in the west wall. In the south part of the tower are the remains of a stair- case or corridor. The castle was in the possession of the Braose, Bohun and Stafford families during the Middle Ages. Ancient Monument County no 98. (RCHM, III, p 75-6, item 2; BoE, p 198).

Listing NGR: SO2483953804

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
150665
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 75-6
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 198

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/12653/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Stoyel. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].