CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1157613
Date first listed:
20-Feb-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157613 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 23:34:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Craven (District Authority)
Parish:
Bentham
National Grid Reference:
SD 64473 69272

Details

BENTHAM LOW BENTHAM SD 66 NW 5/5 Church of St John the 20.2.58 Baptist GV II* Parish church. C15 west tower, rest heavily restored by R Norman Shaw, 1876-78. Squared rubble; stone dressings, slate roof. West tower, north entrance porch. 2 bay nave, north and south aisles, one bay chancel, north vestry, south side chapel. Perpendicular. 3 stage, west tower. Restored 2-centre head to west door, dripstone; 1870s 2-leaf plank doors with decorative wrought iron strap hinges. Second stage: 1870s 3-light Perpendicular with 2-centre heads and curved dripstone. Bell stage: 2-light trefoil headed window with mouchettes in spandrels; dripmould. Diagonal buttresses; partly embattled parapet with 4 crocketed finials all c1980 (2 C15 finials in churchyard, west of tower). North entrance porch 1870s: 2-centre arch entrance with moulded surround; 2-leaf plank door and decorative wrought iron strap hinges. Half-hipped roof. Nave: Perpendicular windows with 3 cinquefoil headed lights: hood moulds. 2 similar windows in clerestorys, and one to vestry. Chancel, 1870s. Stepped east window is 2-centre, 5 lights each have cinquefoil heads. Tudor flower decoration below gable end parapet. Finials to buttresses and cross at gable end ridge. South wall of chancel has wreathed C15 2-light chamfered mullioned window with trefoil head and 1870s hoodmould. 2 similar windows in south wall of south side chapel but with restored cavetto mullions. Above is late C18/early C19 stone sundial with floral decoration inscribed LAT 54° 7'; iron gnomon. Interior Nave: font by Lethaby. c1890. Pulpit by Shaw has stone base and wood surround with linenfold panelling; exposed king post roof, stone corbels. 2 bay arcade to north and south aisles. C15 two-centre chancel arch. Chancel: stalls with poppyhead carving by Shaw. In North wall is 1870s 6-light cinquefoil headed mullioned window with king mullion at clerestory level, now partly obscured by teak organ case by Shaw and Lethaby, 1886. Reredos in Caen stone by Shaw, carved by Thomas Earp. Maw's majolica tiles to walls. Several stained glass window by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. Stone cruciform carving in south aisle window, probably C13. Source: A Saint, Richard Norman Shaw (1976); Royal Academy London, plans and elevations by Shaw.



Listing NGR: SD6447369272

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
324073
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Saint, A, Richard Norman Shaw, (1976)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08818/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr J. Barry Lord. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].