BYFORD COURT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1157633

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1953

Statutory Address: BYFORD COURT

Map

Ordnance survey map of BYFORD COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157633 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 12:19:02.

Location

Statutory Address: BYFORD COURT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Byford

National Grid Reference: SO 39638 42939

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BYFORD CP BYFORD SO 34 SE 4/24 Byford Court 20.2.53 GV II*

House. C16, extended and partly refronted in early C17, and in 1761. Timber-frame with rendered infill on a coursed rubble plinth, mostly cased in coursed rubble, with a tiled roof. H-plan with main range aligned east/west. Main stack at east end of main range with diamond plan shafts. South front has the gabled cross-wings faced in stone in C18, whilst central area infilled in C17. Two storeys with gable-lit attics to the cross-wings and a 2-light stone mullioned window with square label to the centre. One plus three plus one windows, the outer windows are casements, 2-light to the left, 3-light to right. Centre has two 3- light stone mullioned windows with square labels flanking a 6-light stone mullion and transomed window. Ground floor has one plus two plus one windows, 4-light casement to cross-wings, the central window a 6-light window similar to that above with a 2-light stone mullioned window to right. Entrance to left of central window has moulded imposts and a semi- elliptical head, above which are three shields enclosed by a moulded label. Above the label is a blank shield flanked by fleurs-de-lis and surmounted by a bird. Framing visible in east wall is close-studded with five braces. Interior: the hall is lined with C17 panelling (brougt from Marsh Court, Bridge Sollers, c1910) and has a moulded four-centred head to the ingle- nook fireplace. The recessed main entrance door has moulded posts, and is square-headed with a shaped sub-head carved with human heads sprouting foliage, the boarded door has moulded planted-on ribs and strap hinges. (RCHM, Vol 3, pp 31-32, no 2).

Listing NGR: SO3963842939

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 149982

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 31-2

End of official listing