FRIARS HEAD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1157656

Date first listed: 10-Sep-1954

Statutory Address: FRIARS HEAD, WINTERBURN LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FRIARS HEAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157656 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 18:11:47.

Location

Statutory Address: FRIARS HEAD, WINTERBURN LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven (District Authority)

Parish: Flasby with Winterburn

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

National Grid Reference: SD 93207 57533

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 95 NW FLASBY WITH WINTERBURN WINTERBURN LANE (west side)

3/12 Friars Head

10.9.54

- II*

Large house c1670, possibly by Proctor family, with C19 and C20 alterations. Dressed stone, stone slate roof. Hall with 2 cross wings at rear. Gable end to street. Garden entrance front: 2 storeys, 4 projecting bays. Entrance porch in second bay has moulded surround and imposts, basket arch of 11 voussoirs; within porch is oak plank door with Tudor arch. Dripmould and sundial above with gnomon and moulded surround. 3 ground floor and 4 upper floor bay windows, all double chamfered mullioned of 6-lights with transoms, and transomed single lights to return of each bay; 6 pane casements and fixed lights. Dripmoulds to both floors. Gable to each bay has ogee headed tripartite blind window with mullions and shaped hood- mould. Ball finials to apex of gables and kneelers, those on left and right-hand of c1985. Left and right-hand gable end ridge stacks. Interior: front left-hand room (former kitchen) contains massive inglenook fireplace with chamfered surround and basket arch of 16 voussoirs. In front right-hand room (former parlour) is small fireplace with chamfered surround and flat arched lintel. C19 dog-leg staircase in angle between main block and right-hand rear wing. 3 late C17 door surrounds on upper floor landing have nicked ogees to lintels. Source: L Ambler, The Old Halls and Manor Houses of Yorkshire, (London, 1913) p70.

Listing NGR: SD9320757533

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 323950

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ambler, L, The Old Halls and Manor Houses of Yorkshire, (1913), 70

End of official listing