MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1157732

Date first listed: 19-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Nov-1986

Statutory Address: MANOR HOUSE, 43, RICHMOND ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157732 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 18:17:25.

Location

Statutory Address: MANOR HOUSE, 43, RICHMOND ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: Skeeby

National Grid Reference: NZ 20029 02612

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SKEEBY RICHMOND ROAD NZ 20 SW (north side)

5/125 No 43 (Manor House) (formerly listed as Manor 19.12.51 House)

GV II*

House. Early-mid C17. Rubble with ashlar dressings, stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 5 first-floor windows, T-shaped plan with rear stair turret and outshut. Rough quoins. Central board door in moulded, quoined surround with triangular head. Ground-floor windows: 2-light double-chamfered mullion windows with continuous hood-mould over windows and door. First floor: double-chamfered fire window with hood-mould; 2 pairs of 2-light double-chamfered mullion windows, each pair with continuous hood-mould. Ashlar kneelers of quarter-round section; ashlar coping to raised verges. Corniced ashlar stacks at ends, that to right with external stepped stack. To left, former barn, now extension to house, and projecting from it to left, single-storey former coach-house now with garage doors in hipped gable end, not of special interest. Rear: central stair turret rising up above eaves as full dormer, and with 2-light mullion windows with drip-moulds. To right, original roof dormer with matching window. Outshut has been added to continue building line flush with that of turret, and has matching windows, possibly re-set when outshut added. Interior: house retains all 4 original ashlar fireplaces; in ground-floor room to left, huge flat-headed surround with moulded and stop-chamfered arris, fluted frieze, cornice and side seats within fireplace cavity; in ground-floor room to right, chamfered triangular-headed surround; in both first-floor rooms chamfered triangular- headed surrounds with cornices. Ground-floor rooms have stop-chamfered internal door-frames, stop-chamfered first-floor beams and joists. Dog-leg stair in turret appears to have original treads in upper section. Roof trusses: angled principal rafters, 1 with collar removed. VCH i, p 52.

Listing NGR: NZ2002902612

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 322191

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of York: North Riding, (1914), 52

End of official listing