PITTLEWORTH MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1157769
Date first listed:
29-May-1957
Date of most recent amendment:
07-Feb-1986
Statutory Address:
PITTLEWORTH MANOR HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PITTLEWORTH MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157769 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 04:59:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
PITTLEWORTH MANOR HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Test Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Bossington
National Grid Reference:
SU 32769 29679

Details

BOSSINGTON BOSSINGTON SU 32 NW 7/1 Pittleworth Manor House 29/5/57 (Formerly listed as Pittlenorth Manor) II* Manor house. C16 with C17 crosswings and side stack, encased C18 when range added to front between 2 wings, altered windows C19. Timber-frame with plaster infill core, brick some chequerwork, stack C17 brick, old plain tile roof. 2 storey, 4 bay C16 building with wide 2-bay deep wings added to end bays on front C17, probably in brick and side stack added to rear of upper bay, in late C18 narrow range added to front between wings and inner bay of wings reroofed to form 2 long ridges and small parallel roofs to front bays of wings, early C19 wings and much else refronted. Front symmetrical 2 storey and attic 7 narrow bays having 2 bay wings projecting a bay at each end. Central 4-panel door in solid frame under C20 Doric porch, all dark stained. Each side altered C18 leaded cross-window under Dutch arch, 3 similar on 1st floor under rubbed brick arches, centre one late C20 filling blocked opening. Toothed eaves. 2 hipped 2-light dormers on roof. Wings have on inner faces blocked opening under Dutch area with over cross-window under similar. Right wing has 2 similar with one over in centre, left has large cast iron window under Dutch arch with cross-window over. Wings half-hipped inwards to centre with stack at other end and hipped dormer on left wing. Inside, left bay of main range has C16 full height wall paintings on right and front facing wall. Walls are of timber- frame with stud and plaster infill all painted in ochre, vegetable dyes and oil paint. Painting of c1540 mostly painted over in 1580 when at top of wall, Parable of Lazarus written in couplets. Discovered in 1922 when some of the Jacobean panelling removed, this survives on other 2 walls along with carved chalk 4-centred arch fireplace to external side stack on rear wall.

Listing NGR: SU3276829675

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
140598
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].