CHURCH OF ST PATRICK
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PATRICK, A 684
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157773 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 03:18:56.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PATRICK, A 684
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Yorkshire
- Richmondshire (District Authority)
- Patrick Brompton
- National Grid Reference:
- SE 21910 90701
PATRICK BROMPTON A 684
SE 29 SW (north side)
4/72 Church of St Patrick
Church. Late C12, c1320, restored 1864. Sandstone, Westmorland slate roofs. C19 west tower, late C12 nave with C14 aisles, C19 south porch, C14 chancel and vestry, early C20 organ chamber. Tower: rusticated stone. 3 stages. Plinth. Stepped diagonal buttresses. South side: on second stage, lancet window and clock set in gablet with crockets and finial; 2-light pointed belfry opening on third stage. West side: matching and with first- stage window of 2 trefoiled lights with hoodmould with head stops. Porch: ashlar. Early-English style doorway; gable. Inner doorway: C12, of 3 pointed orders with roll, chevron and zigzag motifs, with water-leaf capitals to shafts. South aisle: coursed stone. 4 bays divided by stepped buttresses, porch in second bay. 3 windows of 2 trefoiled lights. Parapet with corner finials. In west end, C19 lancet window with tracery and hoodmould with head stops. East window of 3 lights, with reticulated tracery. Nave: coping to right, with gable cross. North aisle: 4 bays divided by stepped buttresses. From east: window of 2 trefoiled lights with quatrefoil above; 2-light Y-tracery window; triangular window with tracery of 3 circles and round-arched roll-moulded blocked doorway; window of 2 trefoiled lights with trefoil above and hoodmould. Trefoil-headed lancet on west side. Chancel: ashlar. 3 bays divided by stepped buttresses with pinnacles; windows of 2 ogee-headed lights and in first bay a low ogee- headed single-light window and in second bay a priest's door with roll flanked by deep hollows on continuously-moulded arris, with hoodmould with head stops, and to its right a blind trefoil-headed image niche. Chancel east window: of 5 lights with reticulated tracery. Vestry: segmental- pointed east window of 3 segmental-pointed cinquefoiled lights, with matching transoms and hoodmould with head stops. North vestry window of 2 trefoiled lights with circle above, hoodmould with head stops; organ chamber triangular window containing tracery of 3 quatrefoils. Interior: C12 four- bay north arcade, of shafted columns with water-leaf capitals and rolled pointed arches with chevrons, the easternmost arch lower and of slightly earlier date. C14 four-bay south arcade of filleted quadrilobate columns with octagonal capitals and arches of 2 stepped chamfered orders, the easternmost arch earlier, with chevron and roll motifs. Tall chancel arch with filleted rolls, with hoodmould with head stops. Above, 3 stepped lancet openings. To north of C19 tower arch, chamfered doorway, with image corbel above, and steps formerly up to rood loft. North aisle: blocked single-light east window, trefoiled and with shouldered head with ball flowers. South aisle, east end: to left and right of window, an image corbel; trefoiled piscina with shelf above in gabled canopy; water-leaf capital, formerly the western respond of easternmost arch of south arcade. Chancel of ashlar, with scrolled string stepping up around openings and hoodmoulds with large head stops to windows. In south wall, 3-seat sedilia with trefoiled canopies divided by columns below the heads of a bishop and priest, with crocketed gables with finials, all set within panelled buttresses with finials. Piscina with trefoiled head within hoodmould with head stops. East wall: on each side of window a niche with nodding ogee crocketed canopy, the base supported on a grotesque head to the left, and a king to the right, and with devilish head stops below side shafts. North wall: tomb recess with trefoiled pointed arch, richly moulded, flanked by panelled buttresses with finials; vestry doorway with continuously hollow- moulded pointed arch; former window of 2 trefoiled lights with circle above. In chancel: small brass below piscina to Thomas Lowden, d1666, and wall monuments to Gregory Elsley, Gent, c1716, with elaborate cartouche above a skull, Rev Heneage Elsley d1833 with Greek inscription by Skelton of York, and Gregory Elsley Esq d1823 by Webster of Kendal. Turned baluster altar rail in south aisle. C19 benefaction boards on south wall. Fragments of medieval glass in west window of north aisle. Near north respond of chancel arch, part of a wheeled cross head. H B McCall, Richmondshire Churches, (1910), pp 105-122; VCH i, pp 337-339.
Listing NGR: SE2191090700
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
McGall, HB , Richmondshire Churches, (1910), 105-122
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of York: North Riding, (1914), 337-339
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.