FAWLEY COURT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1157774

Date first listed: 18-May-1953

Statutory Address: FAWLEY COURT, FAWLEY

Map

Ordnance survey map of FAWLEY COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157774 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 16:25:44.

Location

Statutory Address: FAWLEY COURT, FAWLEY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Brockhampton

National Grid Reference: SO 57747 30136

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BROCKHAMPTON BY ROSS CP FAWLEY SO 53 SE 1/13 Fawley Court 18.5.53 GV II* Country house. Early C16 core, largely rebuilt during mid-Cl7, C20 alterations and additions. Timber-framed core with some wattle-and- daub infill remaining, sandstone rubble plinth, west front faced with sandstone ashlar, tiled roofs. Irregular plan with hall and cross-wing obscured by later additions, facing west with entrance to south of centre, main central stack and further end stacks. Two storeys, attics and cellars; west front: two string courses, raised parapet, four square headed mullioned windows with three elliptical headed lights, similar 2-light window to right; ground floor, two canted bays to right and centre with embattled parapet and 4-light mullioned and transomed window to main face, single lights to two flanking sides, central bay flanked by 3-light mullioned and transomed window, projecting porch to right with semi-circular headed outer doorway, moulded label and imposts, ledged and studded door with wicket. Timber- framing revealed to east front, close-studding above sandstone rubble lower storey, decorative herringbone framing in central gable removed September 1985. Interior: altered, retains wide stone fireplace with 4-centred arched head and moulded jambs in hall, C17 dado panelling also in hall; room to north retains fragments of C17 glass in windows, the panelling and fireplace mentioned by the RCHM has been removed; C17 staircase with turned balusters, the south-east staircase mentioned by RCHM has also been removed. (RCHM, Vol II, p 35).

Listing NGR: SO5774730136

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 154272

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932), 35

End of official listing