CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1157843
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
09-Sep-2002
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157843 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 08:10:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Orcop
National Grid Reference:
SO 47389 26270

Details

ORCOP

1565/6/44 Church of St John the Baptist 26-JAN-67 (Formerly listed as: CHURCH OF ST MARY)

GV II*

Parish church. Early C13 nave and north aisle; c1300 chancel; early C16 west tower. The church was extensively restored in 1860 by T Nicholson which included the addition of the polygonal vestry; church further restored in 1907. Sandstone rubble with dressed rubble later refacing, ashlar dress- ings, part timber-framed west tower with timber cladding; Welsh slate roofs. West tower; two stages with lower stage cased in stone during period of restoration; truncated pyramidal roof surmounted by louvred bell stage and short spire. Nave: two square headed windows with two trefoil ogee headed lights (probably of C19 restoration) to right of gabled C19 timber-framed porch and C19 doorway. The north wall of the north aisle has one C13 lancet to the west and one C19 lancet to the east. The chancel has one restored single lancet to the left and a pair of similar lancets to the right. A single trefoil headed light of c1300 on the north side is partially obscured by the C19 vestry. C19 east window of three lights. Interior: west tower; timber structure of tower is revealed to the interior, supported on massive posts with scissor braces to north and south and diagonal braces to the east arched over the tower arch. Early C16 arched braced collar to roof of nave. Low arcade of three bays to north aisle with circular piers and moulded capitals and bases, 2-centred arches of two chamfered orders, all much retooled. Re-used C12 piscina in chancel with top of scalloped pillar, square drain. (RCHM, Vol I, p 208; BoE,-p 264-265).

Listing NGR: SO4738926270

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
155579
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire I South West, (1931), 208
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 264-265

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/06299/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jeff Andrews. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].