CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1157844
Date first listed:
13-Sep-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157844 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jul-2019 at 20:14:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Craven (District Authority)
Parish:
Langcliffe
National Park:
YORKSHIRE DALES
National Grid Reference:
SD 82309 65025

Details

LANGCLIFFE SD 86 NW 2/1 Church of St John The Evangelist II Parish Church. 1851 by Mallinson and Healey of Bradford. Coursed rock-faced stone, ashlar dressings slate roof. Nave, chancel, south porch, north vestry and boiler house. Early English style. 3 bay nave with one single-light and two 2-light trefoil headed windows; stepped buttresses; octagonal bell turret with pyramidal hood at west gable end, and cruciform finial at east gable end. 2 bay chancel is narrower and lower than nave; south entrance has chamfered surround, decorated lintel and plank door; to left is a 2-light trefoil headed window with a cinquefoil above, to right is single-light trefoil-headed window. Angle buttresses to east end with a 3-light trefoil-headed window with 2 trefoils and 1 quatrefoil above. Cruciform finial at east gable end. South entrance porch has pointed arch with hoodmoulds and decorated stops; plank door and gable end cruciform finial. On north wall is lean-to vestry at west end of nave and lean-to boiler house against chancel. Source W A Shuffrey, The Churches of the Deanery of North Craven (1914) pp 223-227

Listing NGR: SD8230965025

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
324238
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Shuffrey, W A , The Churches of the Deanery of North Craven, (1914), 223-227

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/13100/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Neil Holliday. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].