No. 95, STRICKLANDGATE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1157853
Date first listed:
24-Apr-1951
Statutory Address:
95, STRICKLANDGATE, LA9 4RA

Map

Ordnance survey map of No. 95, STRICKLANDGATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157853 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 20:56:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
95, STRICKLANDGATE, LA9 4RA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
South Lakeland (District Authority)
Parish:
Kendal
National Grid Reference:
SD 51511 92982

Details

This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 13/03/2017

SD 5192 NE, 8/151

KENDAL, STRICKLANDGATE (East side), No. 95

(Formerly listed as the Y.W.C.A.)

24.04.51

G.V.

II

House, now Hostel; dated 1728 on rainwater head. Later additions and alterations. Wet-dashed rubble with eaves cornice; moulded, cast-iron gutter on dentils. Graduated slate roof; stone mid and end chimneys. Three storeys, five bays. Panelled door and rectangular fanlight, with pilastered reveals, to ground floor left; sashes. Lead downpipe has lead bands, each with griffin in low relief to either end, fastening it back to wall.

Bonnie Prince Charlie slept here on his advance into England in 1745; he did so again during his retreat, with the pursuing Duke of Cumberland sleeping here on the following night.

Listing NGR: SD5151192982

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
75497
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/06305/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Wise. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].