CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1157868
Date first listed:
16-Jan-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157868 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 02:28:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Carlisle (District Authority)
Parish:
Walton
National Grid Reference:
NY 52216 64490

Details

NY 56 SW WALTON WALTON

10/175 Church of St Mary

G.V. II*

Church. 1869-70, by Paley of Lancaster, (on site of medieval church, rebuilt 1811 and extended 1843). Hammer dressed red sandstone, with ashlar chamfered plinth, quoins and string courses; graduated slate roof with coped gables, cross finial and decorative ridge tiles. North-west square tower porch of 3 storeys; 4-bay nave with north aisle; 3-bay chancel. Tower: north entrance has pointed arch and plank door; pointed bell openings with engaged column surround, have louvred vents; pyramidal spire, projecting stair tower to west wall. Nave: steeply pitched roof to north, with projecting eaves, covers north aisle with small 2 light pointed lancets; south wall has large pointed lancets; 2 large pointed lancets and rose window to west end. Chancel has triple lancet east window with hood mould and quatrefoil window above. Interior: vaulted pine roof to nave and vestry, supported by king posts, each with 4 curved struts. Pews and other furnishings are late C19 or early C20. C10 or C11 free standing cross fragment at base of C19 font. White marble wall plaques are all early C19 from the earlier church. Altar frieze is in coloured mosaic in flowing leafy design of 1880's with alabaster surround. Brass plaques set in floor inside altar rail are of 1821-1865 commemorating members of the Johnson family of Walton House (Castlesteads).

Listing NGR: NY5221664490

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
77966
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/11002/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Tony Thornton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].