BRIDGE END

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1157881

Date first listed: 11-Apr-1967

Statutory Address: BRIDGE END

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRIDGE END
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157881 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 02:43:27.

Location

Statutory Address: BRIDGE END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale (District Authority)

Parish: Sebergham

National Grid Reference: NY 35794 41897

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 34 SE SEBERGHAM Sebergham

9/171 Bridge End

11.4.67

G.V. II

House. Dated and inscribed over entrance J & M.S. 1737 (John Stalker and his wife) incorporating earlier building dated and inscribed over rear entrance J & B.S. 1670 (John Stalker, senior, and his wife). Squared and coursed sandstone rubble with flush quoins. Sandstone slate roof with coped gable and kneeler to right; C20 brick chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 3 bays of 1737, with 2 bays left under common roof partly of 1670, but mostly rebuilt in mid C20; single-storey right-angled extension to front is probably late C17, making overall L-shape. Right portion has 2-light flat stone-mullioned windows, that in centre was made into a doorway and now returned to window matching the others. Fire windows on both floors to left have been blocked with coursed stone making it impossible to see that they ever existed (information from present owner who carried out the work). Right portion has cross passage with dated and inscribed rear doorway, now an internal feature; front doorway surround with dated and inscribed lintel has been moved forward into a C19 wall filling the angle of the L. One upper-floor 2-light chamfered stone-mullioned window, all others are C20 but in keeping with the rest of the building. Change in colour of the sandstone denotes that part which has been rebuilt. Extension has 2- and 3-light chamfered stone-mullioned windows under hoodmoulds with small chamfered-surround fire window to rear. Interior of 1737 has inglenook with heck partition, firebeam and beamed ceiling. 1670 portion had been used as a barn and was in a derelict condition before restoration. Had arched stone fireplace and spiral stone staircase before restoration.

Listing NGR: NY3579441897

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 72479

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing