CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1157891

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1961

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157891 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 19:44:41.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Churchill

National Grid Reference: ST 43729 60239

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 46 SW CHURCHILL C.P. CHURCH LANE (west side)

4/72 Church of St. John the Baptist 9.2.61 G.V. I

Anglican parish church. C12 origin, C14 and C15 rebuilding with 1879 restoration. Coursed rubble throughout except west facade of tower which is of squared and coursed dressed stone. Ashlar dressings and copings, dressed stone quoins, lead roof to nave, slates to chancel. Nave, chancel, west tower, north and south aisles, south porch. South aisle has 3-light Perpendicular windows under pointed heads and offset buttressing which develops into crocketted pinnacles at parapet level. Trefoil pierced triangular parapet frieze with fine gargoyles to moulded eaves. South-west embattled polygonal corner stair turret and also north-east corner turret. Chancel has C19 Perpendicular style 2-light windows under flat heads and a 3-light C19 east window. North aisle of 5 bays with 2 and 3-light Perpendicular windows under pointed heads with some C19 renewal. North door. Tower of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses, moulded string courses, north-east polygonal higher corner stair turret with blind panelled embattled cap and pierced quatrefoil lozenge parapet with corner pinnacles and gargoyles. West facade has pointed-arched doorway with C19 window set in it and above, a 3-light C19 window in original C15 surround. Above this at 2nd stage level an aedicule with crocketted canopy and shield below. Bell stage has single light openings and above, 2-light bell openings with densely pierced lozenge panels. South porch has similar parapets to aisles but corner buttresses with face carvings at eaves cornice. Deeply moulded pointed-arched doorway with hoodmould and C19 wrought iron 2-leaf gate. South door is deeply moulded with hoodmould, angel stops and C19 two-leaf plank door. Further doorway to west wall and tie-beam roof set on angel corbels. Benefactions board above south door, 2 mutilated effigies of a woman and knight in armour (C14) along east and west walls. Interior. Nave has 4-bay arcades: C14 with octagonal piers to south, C15 with clustered shafts to north. Restored wagon roof with fine carved bosses. Tower arch of 2 orders with tierceron vault to bell stage. Rood stair and quatrefoil squint to north jamb of chancel arch, further squint on south jamb. C15 chancel arch of 2 orders, C19 barrel vault. Ogee-headed piscina on chancel south-east wall. Aisles have restored tie-beam roofs on angel corbels. Fittings. Nave has C15 pews, some renewed. C13 font bowl with C19 cover. 1909 Perpendicular style pulpit. Painting of the Last Supper over south door. Tower has several wall monuments and royal coat of arms dated 1663. Chancel has fine 1644 monument to Sara Latch. Fragments of medieval glass in 2 north aisle windows, C19 glass in remainder. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST4373060243

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 33940

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

End of official listing