BROW TOP FARMHOUSE AND ADJOINING BARNS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1157910

Date first listed: 11-Apr-1967

Statutory Address: BROW TOP FARMHOUSE AND ADJOINING BARNS

Map

Ordnance survey map of BROW TOP FARMHOUSE AND ADJOINING BARNS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157910 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 15:11:53.

Location

Statutory Address: BROW TOP FARMHOUSE AND ADJOINING BARNS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale (District Authority)

Parish: Sebergham

National Grid Reference: NY 35980 41692

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 34 SE SEBERGHAM Sebergham

9/175 Brow Top Farmhouse and adjoining barns 11.4.67 (formerly King's Arms Inn, Brow Top)

G.V. II

Farmhouse and adjoining barns; was a public house in C19 and C20. Dated and inscribed over entrance R. MONKHOUSE FABRICA 1730, incorporating part of a C17 house to rear. Painted roughcast walls with eaves cornice and flush quoins on chamfered plinth. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and kneelers; roughcast chimney stacks. Barns of roughcast walls under sandstone slate roofs. 2 storeys, 5 bays, with lower barns to left in U-shape. Panelled door under radial fanlight in bolection surround with keystone frieze under dated panel. 2-light flat stone-mullioned windows, with rounded arches to each light, to left of entrance. Other ground-floor windows to right have been similar but replaced by sash windows with glazing bars in original surrounds. Upper-floor 2-light flat stone-mullioned windows with glazing bars. Sash window over entrance in bolection surround. Rear has one original C17 window, with stone mullion removed. End wall left shows original roof line of the earlier house. Interior has inglenook with heck partition and carved late C17 firebeam (probably from the earlier house) with underside inscription and date 1730. Barns are partly the same date as the earliest house and entrance nearest house could have been the cross-passage. Through carriage-arch to left. Interior has one pair of upper crucks. Right-angled extension is later, now with C20 windows and openings.

Listing NGR: NY3598041692

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 72483

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing